DIY:  Horse Stalls

I’ve had a couple requests for more info on the stalls we built at our old farm.  We have since moved to our amazingly beautiful new farm, but the old stalls served us well and I really liked them.  If I had to do it over again, I would still design them the same way.  I really miss the dutch doors with attached paddocks.  They were great!  If anyone is looking for ideas for DIY stalls, this is a fairly inexpensive easy solution that is durable and safe.

We got a bundle of 1″x6″x8′ rough sawn oak boards from the local saw mill.  They were much less expensive than any other wood options, and oak is very strong and more resistant to chew marks than softer wood.  Since they came from a mill, the dimensions varied somewhat, they were at least a true 1″ thick (some were even thicker) unlike modern lumber that is called 1″ but is actually barely more than half that.  You may be thinking 1″ isn’t thick enough for horses, but oak is very strong, and these stalls withstood many kicks and abuse, never resulting in any broken or cracked boards.

This is what we started with. We put in treated 4×4 posts for each corner and for each doorway (4′ wide). The way the barn was set up with pre-existing posts, the stalls could only be about 11′ wide, and we made them 12′ deep.

We installed base boards using treated wood, and a non treated board near the top. Then we started installing vertical oak planks. They were 4’3″ and we were able to get two planks out of each 8’+ oak board. We removed the exterior framing and siding to put in 4′ wide dutch doors. They had doors out the front of the shedrow barn which opened into the front pasture, as well as out the back which entered into a small stonedust paddock (yet to be constructed in these photos), which then entered into the back pasture.  It was great having options, I was able to choose which door to open to allow that horse to access which paddock, or just leave all the doors open and the whole herd to come and go as they pleased.

More progress. We added limestone dust aka screenings aka 3/8 minus for the base and leveled and tamped it before installing rubber mats.

Installing rubber mats

Still needs some finish work and doors, but we let the horses try them out.

Apparently I stopped taking progress photos at this point, and I’m having a hard time finding good pictures of the doors.  My husband made really sturdy swinging doors with welded angle iron frames so they wouldn’t sag and to add strength.  They were super serious.  I can’t believe I didn’t take any good pictures of them!  You can construct doors however you see fit, ours were 4′ wide and had a Z brace board across them to help prevent sagging.  Here’s a couple random photos showing parts of the doors.

Dutch doors in use.  You can sort of see inside the stalls where we added livestock panels above the dividers to prevent the piggy mares from harassing eachother while eating.  (The poles strewn about were to help Moxie learn to pay attention to her feet.  It worked really well!  You can click the picture to read more about it)

Advertisements

1 Comment

  1. Nice stalls! I like every aspect of them. They are similar to my current stalls and ones we have constructed in tobacco barns on previous farms. Love Dutch doors! The angle iron door frames are super deluxe.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: